Stone County, Arkansas Genealogy
Stone County, Arkansas genealogy and family history research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to help you you track your Stone Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Stone County was created on April 21, 1873 and was formed from Izard County, Independence County, Searcy County and Van Buren County. This particular county was named for the rugged, rocky area terrain .
Currently the Stone County Seat can be found in Mountain View and in addition the county government website is www.arcounties.org/
Areas next to Stone County happen to be Baxter County (northwest), Izard County (northeast), Independence County (east), Cleburne County (south), Van Buren County (southwest), Searcy County (west).
Cities and towns located in Stone County consist of Fifty-Six, Mountain View.
Stone County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940. Stone Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1880. Stone Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1880. Stone Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free online and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Stone County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Stone County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Arkansas Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Stone County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers typically forget the advantages of Stone County court, probate, and land files as a source of ancestry and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Arkansas courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Arkansas men and women. The possibilities are very good that your particular ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few elements of their lives in the Stone County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into account all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
I highly recommend you contact the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of from time to time changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will assist people in locating the resources, however it's up to the man or women to perform the basic research.
The following details shows exactly what death, marriage, birth,, property, probate, and court records will be in Stone County. The years pointed out below tend to be the first recognized records data for this particular county.
All County Offices Records are located in the Courthouse at 107 West Main, Mountain View 72560; 870-269-3351, unless otherwise noted. Records A, B, C, D, and E of deeds and mortgages are complete; A, B, and C of deeds only are complete; A and B of mortgages only are complete; A and B of probate court, A and B of circuit court, and A of chancery court are nearly complete; A of marriage records is complete. No records are missing. All records are in good condition and are kept in fire-proof safe.
- Stone County Clerk of Circuit Court is the clerk of the circuit, chancery court, and juvenile court and usually acts as the ex-officio recorder of Stone county. The duties of the clerk are to maintain a record of all proceedings of the circuit, chancery and juvenile courts and to prepare the dockets for courts in Stone County. They are also the ex-officio Stone county recorder; and is responsible for recording deeds, mortgages, liens, and surety bonds, and many other orders and instruments which involve property within Stone county.
- Phone: (870) 269-3271
- Court Records: 1873
- Land Records: 1873
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Arkansas Department of Public Health)
- Stone County Clerk , as clerk to the probate court, the clerk files all instruments making them a matter of record in descendent estate cases, and swears in all witnesses in contested estates. The clerk, also in this capacity, maintains all records relative to adoptions and guardianship cases within Stone county.
- Phone: (870) 269-5550
- Marriage Records: 1873
- Probate Records: 1873
- Stone County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Arkansas Dept of Health has Birth & Death records since February 1, 1914, Marriage Records since January 1917 and Divorce Records since January 1923. You may go to any county health department in the State of Arkansas to obtain a Birth or Death certificates which can be issued while you wait.
Arkansas Historical Records
- Databases include Arkansas Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Arkansas Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Arkansas Voter Lists & Census Records; Arkansas Immigration & Emigration Records; Arkansas Obituary Records; Arkansas Military Records; Arkansas Family Tree Records; Arkansas Pictures; Arkansas Stories, Memories & Histories; Arkansas Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Stone County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources associated to Stone County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is merely a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Stone County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Stone Co. AR Books, Newspapers & Publications
Stone Co. AR Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Stone Co. AR Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Stone Co. AR Census Records
Stone Co. AR Cemeteries & Graveyards
Stone Co. AR Church & Bible Records
Stone Co. AR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Stone Co. AR General and History Websites
Stone Co. AR Immigration & Naturalization
Stone Co. AR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Stone Co. AR Military Records
Stone Co. AR Schools & Directories