Grant County, Arkansas Genealogy
Grant County, Arkansas genealogy and family history research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to help you you track your Grant Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Grant County was created on February 4,1869 and was formed from Jefferson County, Hot Spring County and Saline County. This particular county was named in honor of Ulysses Simpson Grant (1822–1885), 18th President of the United States.
Currently the Grant County Seat can be found in Sheridan and in addition the county government website is www.grantcountyar.com/
Areas next to Grant County happen to be Saline County (north), Pulaski County (northeast), Jefferson County (east), Cleveland County (southeast), Dallas County (south), Hot Spring County (west).
Cities and towns located in Grant County consist of Leola, Poyen, Prattsville, Sheridan, Tull.
Grant County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940. Grant Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1870 and 1880. Grant Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1870 and 1880. Grant Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free online and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Grant County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Grant County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Arkansas Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Grant County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers typically forget the advantages of Grant County court, probate, and land files as a source of ancestry and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Arkansas courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Arkansas men and women. The possibilities are very good that your particular ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few elements of their lives in the Grant County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into account all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
I highly recommend you contact the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of from time to time changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will assist people in locating the resources, however it's up to the man or women to perform the basic research.
The following details shows exactly what death, marriage, birth,, property, probate, and court records will be in Grant County. The years pointed out below tend to be the first recognized records data for this particular county.
All County Offices Records are located in the Courthouse at ?, unless otherwise noted. It was reported all the records destroyed through Mar. 13, 1877, but complete thereafter and kept in fire-proof vaults.
- Grant County Clerk of Circuit Court is the clerk of the circuit, chancery court, and juvenile court and usually acts as the ex-officio recorder of Grant county. The duties of the clerk are to maintain a record of all proceedings of the circuit, chancery and juvenile courts and to prepare the dockets for courts in Grant County. They are also the ex-officio Grant county recorder; and is responsible for recording deeds, mortgages, liens, and surety bonds, and many other orders and instruments which involve property within Grant county.
- Phone: (870) 942-2631
- Court Records: 1877
- Land Records:1877
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Arkansas Department of Public Health)
- Grant County Clerk, as clerk to the probate court, the clerk files all instruments making them a matter of record in descendent estate cases, and swears in all witnesses in contested estates. The clerk, also in this capacity, maintains all records relative to adoptions and guardianship cases within Grant county.
- Phone: (870) 942-2631
- Marriage Records:1877
- Probate Records:1877
- Grant County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Arkansas Dept of Health has Birth & Death records since February 1, 1914, Marriage Records since January 1917 and Divorce Records since January 1923. You may go to any county health department in the State of Arkansas to obtain a Birth or Death certificates which can be issued while you wait.
Arkansas Historical Records
- Databases include Arkansas Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Arkansas Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Arkansas Voter Lists & Census Records; Arkansas Immigration & Emigration Records; Arkansas Obituary Records; Arkansas Military Records; Arkansas Family Tree Records; Arkansas Pictures; Arkansas Stories, Memories & Histories; Arkansas Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Grant County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources associated to Grant County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is merely a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Grant County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Grant Co. AR Books, Newspapers & Publications
Grant Co. AR Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Grant Co. AR Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Grant Co. AR Census Records
Grant Co. AR Cemeteries & Graveyards
Grant Co. AR Church & Bible Records
Grant Co. AR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Grant Co. AR General and History Websites
Grant Co. AR Immigration & Naturalization
Grant Co. AR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Grant Co. AR Military Records
Grant Co. AR Schools & Directories